In depth character analysis.

You are free to discuss about the serie of Hetalia!
yuria-chan
The New Admin
The New Admin

In depth character analysis.

Post by yuria-chan » 11-06-2011 15:33

Have you made a real studies of a character, a complete psychologicall analysis?
Share it here~! It explains maybe the way you interprent them, rp them, like to see them.

For example:

Russia.

I don't really like 'rapetank-Russia' as some people portray him, stuff in which he is just plain evil and violent...
For hetalia has shown us on multiple occasions that it isn't the way Russia opperates.
I like Russia passive-agressive. He has in my mind some psychological disorders. For example severe fear of abandonment. That goes well with a bit of paranoia. On top of that he has lived a life filled with hardships, on some occasions he will act more on survival instinct than on cultivated western norms because that is what kept him alive for centuries. tough it might seem hard or cruel towards others it's just a reaction that seems normal to him due to difference of perspective.
For example, if food is scarce, you let the one with the least chance of survival starve...( Latviaaaaaa)
That doesn't mean he won't cry over the loss.
Like most insane people he isn't obscenely creepy...The scary thing is that he can live among you without ever showing signs of something being wrong. Like the lonely neighboor or the man who works at the supermarket...There's a reason why people always say afterwards 'I wouldn't have guessed it'.
In Russia's case, he is really scared of people leaving him. He is honestly hoping to be 'mother Russia' to everyone. The one they most love. But he needs a way to be certain that they never leave them. He makes them dependant on him, he makes himself dependant on them too.
Showing that if they ever leave him they will hurt him terribly and that way it's like only the cruelest and most monstrous of humans would ever leave him. Because, he only wanted friends, only wanted a familly, only wanted their love. Who would leave such an innocent being?
In return, he is never satisfied. Always wants more love, cuts his chosen ones of from their friends and familly because he doesn't want them to leave him over them.
They must all adopt his ways, if they don't choose for him completely, don't they love him?
Weird thought structures he builds for himself: If I force him just now, he will notice how nice it can be with me and stay on his own accord!
If you're in deepest you can barely see how bad his precense is for you, how much he wears you out. For the baltics there was nor reason to stay with him, he brought them poverty and oppresion, yet he had this way of them somehow wanting to stay.
There wasn't a constant fight, there were moments when the people consented to their life in the soviet union...
As for his relation to America, America is a constant threat to his little makeshift family. That is the main reason he doesn't only fight him, but also doesn't allow anything that reminds of the man between his walls. Pretend he doesn't exist, fight every chance he has.
He is clinging to a fantasy that is slowely caving in, yet he will never admit it's malfunctionning. In the end he works in the hand exactly what he wanted to prevent.
He is left behind.
Rp chara's:
England, Lithuania, N.Italy, Canada, Prussia, Germany, Spain, France, S.Italy, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Greece, Japan, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Latvia, Sealand, Austria, Switzerland...
What? you asked me to put them in my signature... I can't help I play close to everyone XD
OC: Frysia, Carthago, Etruria

talkenia
Captain
Captain

Post by talkenia » 12-06-2011 17:17

someone.. give this person a cookie...

if i explain my idea's about italy im never getting that much text.. XD
anyway:

Italy is not just the happy pasta loving country we see, he does have a serious side to him, always been in conflict, not even being a single country until 1861. His personality does not allow him to be pitied by others, and that's why he always wears a happy facade. He is a crybaby tough, and has such a big dislike to war he surrenders easily. He just tries to leave the past behind as much as possible, and sees the fun things in life, caring greatly for the friends he acquired.
yes.. cookies are free for everyone now..
(i think they're overdue anyway..)

Main Roleplay character: Italy
minor: chibitalia~

yuria-chan
The New Admin
The New Admin

Post by yuria-chan » 14-06-2011 01:32

-noms on cookie-

Thank you~~! I really like thinking about characters like this!

As for my take on Italy, I really agree with you!
I also see him as being very chaotic and unorganised. Aaand there is Romano... and to make an Italy you really need the two of them XD
This is kinda my idea of what happens:
Each morning both Italies cheerfully go on their way for work, Feliciano leaves for the government building, Romano leaves for some villa of a mafia leader...
You catch my drift?
Italy is a very corrupt country, while Feliciano is trying to build something up, Romano is trying equally hard to break that same thing down again. And so they keep each other buissy.
Same goes for the army, I have a book on soldiers which told me that during the war Italy had only just been unified so the soldiers from the South had the feeling that they weren't fighting for their own country but for some other country ( being north Italy). Again, Feliciano is trying, Romano is going into the resistance.
When it comes to the bad things Italy has done in wartime... He just really wanted to be like Germany...Or well, he was really dependant on Germany. Germany leaving him would be a complete nightmare!
The worst fear the Italian government had was that Germany wouldn't need them anymore becasue they were to useless.
Remember the dream Italy had in which Germany completely ignored him? Those kind of dreams the government actaully had in war time.
So in order to keep Germany pleased they imitated him in whatever way they could. Leading to war crimes.
I find it typicall that the main reason behind Italies wickedness was the fear of Germany leaving him... ( This meant others could easilly hurt him) So yes he was basically being a cowad, but it's understandable....as unorganised as they were so short after unification.
( And still are lol)
In the end he couldn't keep it up anymore tough, because he was doing things that he didn't feel at peace with. The resistance in the end won in Italy, and he 'betrayed' Germany...
I rather say Italy has fallen.
For standing up to your friends is just as brave as standing up to your enemies! It was never in Italies nature to hurt people...He was just scared.
I think that's why Germany didn't blame Italy after the war.

Before the big wars...Well, he was just very unorganised. He and his brother spend twelve years fighting over a wooden bucket, and other weird stuff...

On a lighter note~ I also think Italy is a greeeaaat lover XD I mean, he''s Italian! On top of that FRANCE taught him about the birds and the bee's. I rest my case.
aaaand Since Germany is very inexperienced and shy when it comes to it... I can imagine Feliciano topping, or at least being a domminant bottom their first time! XD

uggh another wall of text...
Rp chara's:
England, Lithuania, N.Italy, Canada, Prussia, Germany, Spain, France, S.Italy, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Greece, Japan, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Latvia, Sealand, Austria, Switzerland...
What? you asked me to put them in my signature... I can't help I play close to everyone XD

talkenia
Captain
Captain

Post by talkenia » 14-06-2011 12:54

*throws a wooden bucket of cookies*

yes~ i really agree.. I mean, (N.) Italy is wanting to be cheerful and all, but he actually can't because of all the problems.
I really like your point about the one building it up and the other breaking it down, it would also explain the character differences.

Italy is afraid he is left behind (in multiple ways i think he is the same as Russia, only in some stage they took different turns, and turned out this way.)
Where Russia is on a more egoistic side, Italy would break himself down if only he could keep his friends. Both for the rest, they're both afraid.

Romano on this point, is also afraid, but.. he chose the wrong friends, and actually, i think this is where Spain comes into the play. He has seen Romano's friends, and is trying to get him out of there, but Romano regarding the Mafia as his friends, is afraid he will lose all of his "Friends" and therefore be left alone (with only Spain) That's why he is "Resisting" against Spain.

veh~ that whas what i could come up with for now.. XD
(off to my studybooks *cough* )
yes.. cookies are free for everyone now..
(i think they're overdue anyway..)

Main Roleplay character: Italy
minor: chibitalia~

yuria-chan
The New Admin
The New Admin

Post by yuria-chan » 14-06-2011 19:09

As for the bucket war http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Bucket
hehehe Now let's hope that no one will try to steal my bucket of cookies~!
-shares coockies with you-

Romano also has this Huuuuge Minority complex where it comes to his brother. He wants to build up a power equal to his brothers government...He succeeded. That's the maffia.
The reason he doesn't want Spains help, or pity is that he wants to do something by himself. He has this really biassed view of the world in which even the friendliest gesture becomes something negative.
He is afterall more rural than his brother, but he's good at harvesting and providing for the other. That is his thing~! So the only thing he dares to admit he loves are Tomatoes!
It's some common ground he shares with Spain, so I think that when doing something he likes, he doesn't mind Spains company...

Even tough he feels inferior to Feliciano he does love him. In Italy 'La Familia' is the most important thing in ones live. He sees how Germany is making Italy destroy himself and really hates him for it. Anything to keep his little brother safe.
Still without Germany they'd be in even graver danger.
However, the mafia also funtions like a 'familia' so he will fight for them as well... In the same way. It gives him the comfort that he never experienced of his real family.

Wall of text~! Again~!
Rp chara's:

iiAnarchyDuck
Pasta eating beginner
Pasta eating beginner

Post by iiAnarchyDuck » 16-06-2011 08:49

Wow, I've never heard of the War of the Bucket before... Silly people.

Anyway, joining in on what y'all are saying, I agree with both points. I believe Italy has actually a serious person but he keeps up a happy mask to, more or less, protect himself. As for Romano, well I believe Yuria-chan pointed out the major things. He does feel inferior to his brother. I mean, if you look at it, he has the right to.

Rome picked Veneziano over him, even though Romano was older. This alone probably made him think he wasn't good enough so, he tried to be better. He couldn't paint nearly as well as his brother and his trading skills weren't up to pare either. This led to him feeling even worse and he probably grew to even hate his little brother (when they were younger, at least).

I think Spain helped him figure things out. As Yuria-chan mentioned, Romano's part of Italy is known as the rural part. Romano is good at farming and growing things (especially tomatoes, of course).

Now, the whole thing with the Mafia... I think that's the darker part of Romano. It's been mentioned that he's actually afraid of them but, I think it's more like he's afraid of that part of him rather than the actual mafia itself. He's been working so hard at trying to be as good as his brother and he's scared that the mafia will destroy all of that. That, Romano himself will, more or less, go on a path of self destruction if he can't keep that part of him in check.

Since the Unification, he tries his best to keep it under control, since the mafia's powers could extend to Veneziano as well. Romano wouldn't want anything to happen to his brother so he keeps the Mafia under his watch. Also, he is trying to repair the relationship with his brother. I think they both are, actually, but they just don't know how. Deep down, Romano wants Veneziano to look up to him, to rely on him and turn to him when there is trouble. The problem is, since they were separated for so long, they just don't know how to interact with one another. Veneziano doesn't know how to act like the brother Romano wants and vise versa.
Main RP character :: Romano
Minor RP characters :: Prussia, Italy, Canada
OC's :: Brazil (f), Native America (f), Texas (m)
Willing to try out :: Finland, Sealand, Lithuania, Seborga

yuria-chan
The New Admin
The New Admin

Post by yuria-chan » 15-07-2011 03:40

Hmmm I'm hearing in the news everyday now that the Italy brothers are on the verge of collapsing. It makes me really sad actually :(
It's as if the entire weird structure the two built was bound to be a failure...
I can only think about how it would affect them. Financial slump is really bad for a country so maybe they'll fall ill. Or really depressed. Which is sad because Italy is always so happy...
I don't wanna see them unhappy! I want the crisis over already XD

ok

uhm now another analysis.
Prussia.

Gives new meaning to the word overcompensating. I don't know. I like it if people give him weaknesses. Be it his soviet days that mentally scarred him, his dissulution that left him with a huge vacancy in his existence, or a minority complex to his brother...
He's really a tragic hero to me. Especially his history as a knight order make him hold several virtues in his eyes.
To me he's the type that likes to fight but doesn't attack from the back or kicks an enemy that;s already down.
The extreme ego he has is also just love for his country, which is a good thing. I know that Germans aren't really allowed to feel national pride anymore after the wars, or well they don't allow themselves. The centrum of Berlin is one big monument of remembrance etc etc.
In my mind this really eats Prussia, he's not allowed to do something about it but something he really loves is degrading itself!
I remember a German politician saying that they needed to re-live Prussian virtues. However these got abused during the nazi regime so this cost the politician his job.
It's odd how close patriotism and nationalism are... Prussia's ego is a reference to both.
But a nation with no pride left like Germany, is so wrong. It's like a land with a trauma. I guess it's really hard to find the thin line in between when you've got a cross to bear.
As for the Holy Roman Empire and Prussia conection. I think Prussia adopted him as a brother.
After the napoleonic wars all the little kingdoms that were the Holy roman empire needed to cooporate to continue existing, so in order to stay alive Holy roman empire had to grow big, to mature. He was able to do so with help and leadership of Prussia.
For me this translates into Prussia finding a mortally wounded Holy Roman Empire in the shambles of batle of the wars. The kid could only survive if he'd grow up and so he helps him to do that. However becoming someone else like that must've costed Holy Roman Empire his memories.
And voila~ The mystery got unraveled XD
I actually bought a big history book to research on Prussian history.
Prussia didn't notice that by making his brother strong and capable he plotted his own demise, he got more and more useless to his brother. It's really sad how Germany just completely took him over. While turning everything Prussia had taught him, about serving your ruler (like old Fritz because he is serving the nation.), Being proud of yourself ( Cause no one can love you if you don't love yourself), standing up for yourself ( Cause you shouldn't let yourself be put down by others), don't be a coward, do as you're told - all very valuable life lessons- into something completely else
Serving your ruler - the Fuhrer shouldn't be questioned. He even compares himself to old Fritz
Being proud of yourself - Hitler turns the German race into the 'ubermensch' and that doesn't equall being proud of yourself, it's deeming others less worthy
Standing up for yourself - not showing weakness and cowardice are really good virtues for a soldier... The fact they think they are standing up for themselves, while actually they are being the ones bothering others.)

It is all really... Really sad to see how values that are in itself good be abused as an excuse for murder.
A lot of poets and authors, philosophers and artists had their work abused. I guess Prussia must feel like that. For somehow, Hitler claimed to be like Old Fritz, it was clear that it's not even near. The difference is subtle but it's there.
Also the reason why Prussia is still around, it never really died, there are still congresses on Prussia coming back,there was still a Prussia until not so long ago! There are still people alive who used to be Prussian!
How woul'd you feel if your country'd suddenly be declared gone? No matter how much I dislike Netherlands, if he'd be gone I'd feel as if a piece of me wouldn't be recognised. For it wouldn't be gone as long as I was alive. If you get me >->
As long as there are Prussian people there will be a Prussia, he might be homeless now, or stuck with Germany. ( between who I imagine a really tense situation) But he's still around...
Rp chara's:

Silvermoonwings
Major
Major

Re: In depth character analysis.

Post by Silvermoonwings » 15-07-2011 04:24

yuria-chan wrote:Russia.

I don't really like 'rapetank-Russia' as some people portray him, stuff in which he is just plain evil and violent...
For hetalia has shown us on multiple occasions that it isn't the way Russia opperates.
I like Russia passive-agressive. He has in my mind some psychological disorders. For example severe fear of abandonment. That goes well with a bit of paranoia. On top of that he has lived a life filled with hardships, on some occasions he will act more on survival instinct than on cultivated western norms because that is what kept him alive for centuries. tough it might seem hard or cruel towards others it's just a reaction that seems normal to him due to difference of perspective.
For example, if food is scarce, you let the one with the least chance of survival starve...( Latviaaaaaa)
That doesn't mean he won't cry over the loss.
Like most insane people he isn't obscenely creepy...The scary thing is that he can live among you without ever showing signs of something being wrong. Like the lonely neighboor or the man who works at the supermarket...There's a reason why people always say afterwards 'I wouldn't have guessed it'.
In Russia's case, he is really scared of people leaving him. He is honestly hoping to be 'mother Russia' to everyone. The one they most love. But he needs a way to be certain that they never leave them. He makes them dependant on him, he makes himself dependant on them too.
Showing that if they ever leave him they will hurt him terribly and that way it's like only the cruelest and most monstrous of humans would ever leave him. Because, he only wanted friends, only wanted a familly, only wanted their love. Who would leave such an innocent being?
In return, he is never satisfied. Always wants more love, cuts his chosen ones of from their friends and familly because he doesn't want them to leave him over them.
They must all adopt his ways, if they don't choose for him completely, don't they love him?
Weird thought structures he builds for himself: If I force him just now, he will notice how nice it can be with me and stay on his own accord!
If you're in deepest you can barely see how bad his precense is for you, how much he wears you out. For the baltics there was nor reason to stay with him, he brought them poverty and oppresion, yet he had this way of them somehow wanting to stay.
There wasn't a constant fight, there were moments when the people consented to their life in the soviet union...
As for his relation to America, America is a constant threat to his little makeshift family. That is the main reason he doesn't only fight him, but also doesn't allow anything that reminds of the man between his walls. Pretend he doesn't exist, fight every chance he has.
He is clinging to a fantasy that is slowely caving in, yet he will never admit it's malfunctionning. In the end he works in the hand exactly what he wanted to prevent.
He is left behind.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU! *uberhyperglomp* you capture the way I think of him personally perfectly!
~I~ Just wasted~~ 10 seconds of your life~~
And then I took an arrow to the knee... :I
-------------------------
Main RP: India(Girl), Nepal(Boy), Indus Valley(Girl)(India's Mom)

Minor RP: Belgium, Switzerland, Fem!Russia, Chibi!Romano, Sweden(Fem and norm), Denmark, Finland, 2p!England
Other: Ask me, and I'll say whether I can rp as them or not.

NightlyCapa
Pasta eating beginner
Pasta eating beginner

Post by NightlyCapa » 13-05-2012 08:22

Great work on russia! I find that, too. I'm Russian by blood and name and seeing this obviously non-Russian guy milling around raping people and drinking just... Breaks my tiny cold heart. Spasibo for understanding!
Вы ночью.
кто ты?
____
Main character: Russia
Minor: The Ukraine, Israel, Poland, Estonia, Germany.

yuria-chan
The New Admin
The New Admin

Post by yuria-chan » 13-05-2012 23:42

Thank you so much! I always work hard on trying to understand a character. I'm glad you guys appreciate it.
Rp chara's: