why...?

You are free to discuss about the serie of Hetalia!
Weronikus
Pro-Facepalmer
Pro-Facepalmer

why...?

Post by Weronikus » 17-06-2012 15:11

I love hetalia, I watched it a couple of times already, but I still don't understand... why? Why does my beautiful homeland have to be shown as a cross dressing male?! What did we do to have this fate? And PINK?! Believe me, if you are ever in Poland, you will never EVER find anything in pink. There is one think I do agree to, though. Polish people tend to care more about themselves then others. And quite frankly, little do they listen to other people. Even if it seems like it, thy're actually thinking which of their 'totally awesome information' should they tell you first.

If someone would explain to me the simple facts as to why Poland has to be this way in the anime, I'd be very grateful indeed.
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” - Rick Riordan, "The Lightning Thief"
-----
Main character: Poland
Other character: Australia

teleozoicGlissando
Military cat
Military cat

Post by teleozoicGlissando » 17-06-2012 16:52

Well, it could have been a reference to something that was worn or based off of a Polish friend of Himaruya's. It could've been dramatized too- or just simply added on. I'm not familiar with Polish history so I'm not exactly an expert.

Not all of us Austrians get tired from just a few steps from the door or are obsessed with cake and baking. We don't all have intense bonds with our instruments either- some don't even play. V:
I roleplay as America, Austria, England, Iceland, Norway and Prussia. Also other characters depending on my mood.

Weronikus
Pro-Facepalmer
Pro-Facepalmer

Post by Weronikus » 17-06-2012 17:03

Ehm... are you trying to imply that the 'some' are for example you?

Anyway, I am familiar with Polish culture and history, because, well, I am polish after all, and I can reassure you, there have been no incidents of cross-dressing males. None whatsoever. But that friend thing might be true - if it is, I feel like strangling the guy who gave Himaruya that thought about Polish people. Although the 'like' and 'totally' part are true - but it's used just as others use it - unable to discribe something we use the word 'like' to cover up our disability to explain, and 'totally' as a synonime to 'very'. Unlike others, though polish people tend to use it a lot. Like, really really a lot.
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” - Rick Riordan, "The Lightning Thief"
-----

yuria-chan
The New Admin
The New Admin

Post by yuria-chan » 17-06-2012 18:02

ah, I actually knwo how this thing came to be.
It's quite attrocius I agree, but the anime made it much worse than the webcomic.
Himaruya explained once that he initially had a female character in mind when creating Poland, just like Hungary had been initially male.
A great deal of Polands personality was based on this, but he changed it later. As a joke he once drew him in girls clothes.
He picks the characters accents based on their personality. But those are all Japanese accents.
Poland speaks like a Japanese school girl from a certain district 'forgot the name'.
Because they tend to be pushy and alike to the character.
The English version is a translation of the Japanese accent. It's not to be based on the actual language.
It's the same with Swedens mumbling. It is a japanese accent translated as well and does not refer to the way Swede's speak.

However, the anime production sometimes makes odd choices and they really made the cross-dressing thing an item.

Poland does get shown in girls clothing during the christmas event, but a lot of characters get outfits like that during Hima's events. They're meant for fanservice.

Poland gets show in normal modern, and traditional clothing most but sadly the fandom really picked up on the cross drassing.
Rp chara's:
England, Lithuania, N.Italy, Canada, Prussia, Germany, Spain, France, S.Italy, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Greece, Japan, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Latvia, Sealand, Austria, Switzerland...
What? you asked me to put them in my signature... I can't help I play close to everyone XD
OC: Frysia, Carthago, Etruria

Weronikus
Pro-Facepalmer
Pro-Facepalmer

Post by Weronikus » 17-06-2012 19:02

*sigh* I see... I hate it when they get the wrong idea about a particular country. I mean, now they'll think that Poland is a representation of my homeland's people, and... they're not like that! They're nice (nearly always) and not at all cross-dressers.... I guess though that other users from other countries feel the same way 'bout their country.
-----

talkenia
Captain
Captain

Post by talkenia » 17-06-2012 21:36

not all dutch people are grumpy and smoke weed all day.. XD
yes.. cookies are free for everyone now..
(i think they're overdue anyway..)

Main Roleplay character: Italy
minor: chibitalia~

Silvermoonwings
Major
Major

Post by Silvermoonwings » 17-06-2012 22:38

Dude It's all stereotypes. Not all Americans are fat, lazy, loud, or stupid. Or blonde. In fact, most of America's population is Brown hair and Brown eyes (at least where I live).

It's just a portrayal.
~I~ Just wasted~~ 10 seconds of your life~~
And then I took an arrow to the knee... :I
-------------------------
Main RP: India(Girl), Nepal(Boy), Indus Valley(Girl)(India's Mom)

Minor RP: Belgium, Switzerland, Fem!Russia, Chibi!Romano, Sweden(Fem and norm), Denmark, Finland, 2p!England
Other: Ask me, and I'll say whether I can rp as them or not.

dernhelm
Major
Major

Post by dernhelm » 18-06-2012 02:00

What?! Your stating not all polish are cross-dressers?!
Don't say that. they ARE, they should be! himapappa made them that way. You cannot question Himapappa's way.
Main: quess that's Romano, for now.
OC: Sicilia, quite a bastard (love him)
Likes: north italy, spain, america, netherlands... scared to get a list as long as yuria's (halp?!)

Weronikus
Pro-Facepalmer
Pro-Facepalmer

Post by Weronikus » 18-06-2012 05:40

Hell on! MOST of polish people aren't cross-dressers! See, you can't believe this right now! Gah....
But I see the point the others gave... I do feel a little better now...
-----

GennaHetalia
Pasta eating beginner
Pasta eating beginner

AGREED

Post by GennaHetalia » 29-08-2012 22:25

Silvermoonwings wrote:Dude It's all stereotypes. Not all Americans are fat, lazy, loud, or stupid. Or blonde. In fact, most of America's population is Brown hair and Brown eyes (at least where I live).

It's just a portrayal.
I agree. Same thing with our heritage! I have Italian heritage and I'm not absent-minded or cowardly. My aunt has German heritage and she's not bossy or tough or always nervous. (Remember Germany trying to serve beer to a Picto?) I also have English(England) heritage and I'm not... well... not like England except I do imagine things are there with me that others can't see but I don't talk to them out loud. (Also, I think I'm developing Iggy-brows.) Anyway, it's all stereotypes. Actual person or their heritage, it's all stereotypes.
Main Character: Haiti (Cuchilah "CuCu" Sanchez)
Minor: Hatena (Metoriche "Sally" Mechu) Lorrain (Johanna Creche)
Yes... I did make my avatar. ;)